Book reviews: Designing Tito's capital: urban planning, modernism, and socialism in Belgrade

Thumbnail Image
Supplemental Files
Date
2015-01-01
Major Professor
Advisor
Committee Member
Journal Title
Journal ISSN
Volume Title
Publisher
Authors
Person
Zarecor, Kimberly
Professor
Research Projects
Organizational Units
Organizational Unit
Architecture

The Department offers a five-year program leading to the Bachelor of Architecture degree. The program provides opportunities for general education as well as preparation for professional practice and/or graduate study.

The Department of Architecture offers two graduate degrees in architecture: a three-year accredited professional degree (MArch) and a two-semester to three-semester research degree (MS in Arch). Double-degree programs are currently offered with the Department of Community and Regional Planning (MArch/MCRP) and the College of Business (MArch/MBA).

History
The Department of Architecture was established in 1914 as the Department of Structural Design in the College of Engineering. The name of the department was changed to the Department of Architectural Engineering in 1918. In 1945, the name was changed to the Department of Architecture and Architectural Engineering. In 1967, the name was changed to the Department of Architecture and formed part of the Design Center. In 1978, the department became part of the College of Design.

Dates of Existence
1914–present

Historical Names

  • Department of Structural Design (1914–1918)
  • Department of Architectural Engineering (1918–1945)
  • Department of Architecture and Architectural Engineering (1945–1967)

Related Units

Journal Issue
Is Version Of
Versions
Series
Department
Abstract

In this history of New Belgrade, historian Brigitte Le Normand writes one of the first comprehensive municipal-level case studies of a postwar socialist urban planning project. The book chronicles the development of a new urban district within the capital city of Belgrade from the first modernist plans for the area just after World War II through several stages of stop-and-go development that finally accelerated in the late 1960s with the construction of both official housing blocks and informal settlements. The text highlights the difficulties encountered by urban planners, residents, and the local government to agree on the project's goals and then to implement them. Le Normand frames the discussion around New Belgrade's adherence to and deviation from the Athens Charter, Le Corbusier's 1943 text based on discussions at the 1933 CIAM meeting. Arguing that the original 1950 master plan closely followed the functional city diagram from the Athens Charter, Le Normand shows that the city's subsequent development was far from the controlled modernist vision put forward by its earliest planners.

Comments

This is an Accepted Manuscript of an article published by Taylor & Francis Group in Planning Perspectives on 22 January 2015. Available online at http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/02665433.2014.1002211.

Description
Keywords
Citation
DOI
Copyright
Collections