Pond Culture of Walleye Fingerlings
Is Version Of
North Central Regional Aquaculture Center
Walleye, Stitzostedion vitreum, has potential to be an aquaculture species in the North Central Region because:
- it is native to the region;
- it maintains optimum growth at temperatures lower than many other current aquaculture species (such as channel catfish);
- it is a highly-prized sport fish;
- its flesh is considered a delicacy; and
- the fillets are high in protein and . low in fat, making walleye an attractive food selection for today’s health conscious consumer.
This article is from the NCRAC Fact Sheet Series #102. Used with permission.
Wed Jan 01 00:00:00 UTC 1992