Demo: A Low-Cost Fleet Monitoring System

Thumbnail Image
Date
2018-01-01
Authors
ben Othmane, Lotfi
Alvarez, Venecia
Berner, Kendall
Fuhrmann, Matthew
Fuhrmann, William
Guss, Anthony
Hartsock, Tyler
Major Professor
Advisor
Committee Member
Journal Title
Journal ISSN
Volume Title
Publisher
Authors
Person
Ben Othmane, Lotfi
Assistant Teaching Professor
Research Projects
Organizational Units
Organizational Unit
Computer Science

Computer Science—the theory, representation, processing, communication and use of information—is fundamentally transforming every aspect of human endeavor. The Department of Computer Science at Iowa State University advances computational and information sciences through; 1. educational and research programs within and beyond the university; 2. active engagement to help define national and international research, and 3. educational agendas, and sustained commitment to graduating leaders for academia, industry and government.

History
The Computer Science Department was officially established in 1969, with Robert Stewart serving as the founding Department Chair. Faculty were composed of joint appointments with Mathematics, Statistics, and Electrical Engineering. In 1969, the building which now houses the Computer Science department, then simply called the Computer Science building, was completed. Later it was named Atanasoff Hall. Throughout the 1980s to present, the department expanded and developed its teaching and research agendas to cover many areas of computing.

Dates of Existence
1969-present

Related Units

Organizational Unit
Electrical and Computer Engineering

The Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering (ECpE) contains two focuses. The focus on Electrical Engineering teaches students in the fields of control systems, electromagnetics and non-destructive evaluation, microelectronics, electric power & energy systems, and the like. The Computer Engineering focus teaches in the fields of software systems, embedded systems, networking, information security, computer architecture, etc.

History
The Department of Electrical Engineering was formed in 1909 from the division of the Department of Physics and Electrical Engineering. In 1985 its name changed to Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Engineering. In 1995 it became the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering.

Dates of Existence
1909-present

Historical Names

  • Department of Electrical Engineering (1909-1985)
  • Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Engineering (1985-1995)

Related Units

Journal Issue
Is Version Of
Versions
Series
Abstract

Organizations use fleet monitoring systems for e.g., vehicle tracking, driver behavior analysis, and efficient fleet management. Current systems are designed for commercial use and are of high cost. We present a prototype of a low-cost fleet monitoring system that could be used for non-commercial applications. The system is composed of a device, a service application, and a Web application. The device reads data such as speed and fuel from the internal network of the connected vehicle and the location of the vehicle and sends them to a remote service. The remote service processes and stores the data. The users use a Web application to view the data about their vehicles in real-time.

Comments

This is a manuscript of a proceeding published as Ben Othmane, Lotfi, Venecia Alvarez, Kendall Berner, Matthew Fuhrmann, William Fuhrmann, Anthony Guss, and Tyler Hartsock, "Demo: A Low-Cost Fleet Monitoring System." In IEEE International Smart Cities Conference (ISC2 2018), (2018). DOI: 10.1109/ISC2.2018.8656826. Posted with permission.

Description
Keywords
Citation
DOI
Copyright
Mon Jan 01 00:00:00 UTC 2018