Operation of an Animal Blood Bank
FOLLOWING the work of Belenki, Shamov and Yudin, many investigators have demonstrated the advantages of having preserved blood readily available for immediate use. Veterinary clinicians have long recognized the value of transfused blood in the treatment of various conditions, but because of the frequent lack of available donors and the time consumed in preparing for the operation the technique has not been widely employed. With these difficulties in mind a group of senior veterinary students at the College of Veterinary Medicine, State College of Washington, under the direction of Dr. J. E. McCoy, inaugurated an animal blood bank in 1941. This animal blood bank, the first of its kind to our knowledge, has been in operation since that time.