Complications in Leaving Farmland or a Personal Residence to Charity Harl, Neil
dc.contributor.department Iowa State University Digital Repository 2018-02-19T02:18:37.000 2020-06-29T22:54:33Z 2020-06-29T22:54:33Z 2017-11-13 2006-08-18
dc.description.abstract <p>For those who want to leave farmland or a personal residence to a charitable organization, with an income tax or federal estate tax deduction<strong>1 </strong>but set it up such that the income goes to the surviving spouse, it’s been possible to use a very simple procedure – a life estate to the surviving spouse and a remainder interest to the charity.<strong>2 </strong>The alternative, if a charitable deduction is desired, as is nearly always the case, is to set up a charitable remainder annuity trust, charitable remainder unitrust or a pooled income fund.<strong>3 </strong>The simplicity of a legal life estate to the surviving spouse with a remainder interest to the charity has been an appealing choice for many and still assures favorable tax treatment.</p>
dc.identifier archive/
dc.identifier.articleid 1839
dc.identifier.contextkey 11039137
dc.identifier.s3bucket isulib-bepress-aws-west
dc.identifier.submissionpath aglawdigest/vol17/iss16/1
dc.source.bitstream archive/|||Fri Jan 14 17:49:58 UTC 2022
dc.subject.disciplines Agricultural and Resource Economics
dc.subject.disciplines Agricultural Economics
dc.subject.disciplines Agriculture Law
dc.subject.disciplines Public Economics
dc.title Complications in Leaving Farmland or a Personal Residence to Charity
dc.type article
dc.type.genre article
dspace.entity.type Publication
relation.isJournalIssueOfPublication 38bec485-1ed9-45db-9207-84877ba9d8c7
relation.isOrgUnitOfPublication d2bcee6c-7cba-4fa7-bd11-543354ce7b1b
Original bundle
Now showing 1 - 1 of 1
No Thumbnail Available
191.63 KB
Adobe Portable Document Format