Leopold Center for Sustainable Agriculture, 2015-2016 Annual Report
The annual report reviews the fiscal year –July 1, 2015 through June 30, 2016.
It chronicles new and continuing grant programming for the Center’s initiatives of Ecology, Marketing and Food Systems, Policy, and Cross-cutting, and also summarizes the finances for the fiscal year.
Contained in the report is are letters from Advisory Board Chair Erin Irish, Leopold Center Director Mark Rasmussen, and annual report editor Mary Adams.
Some of the highlights included in this annual report:
• “Aldo Leopold, A standard of change” performed in Ames
• 2016 Shivvers Lecture welcomes a varied panel of Iowa farmers
• North Iowa farm couple honored with 2015 Spencer Award
• Investment in Iowa Learning Farms and Water Rocks! pays off
• Wallace Chair for Sustainable Agriculture researches ag alternatives.
The Educational Grants program supported events across Iowa including the Iowa Prairie Conference at the University of Northern Iowa, Seed Savers Exchange annual conference and campout, the Ag Urbanism Toolkit annual event, the first Soil Health Conference, the Up! Up! Film Festival in Winneshiek County, and more.
Newly awarded research projects cover a range of topics such as bacteria in swine manure, microalgae-based fertilizer, biofuel cropping systems, soil organic matter, food hub expansions, Latino grocery stores, help for beginning farmers, the value of shade in grazing systems, farmer adoption of conservation practices, and more.