Plum Island Animal Disease Laboratory
Dedication of the 10 million dollar Plum Island Animal Disease Laboratory on September 26, 1956, launched our most intensive fight against dangerous foreign diseases of livestock. The Laboratory is operated under special authorization of Congress to develop broader knowledge of how to combat contagious diseases that might be introduced into this country and threaten the livestock industry. The danger of these diseases has been emphasized by the increasing use of fast transportation of livestock, placing diseases of any country of the world only a few hours away from our shores. The best defense against these diseases is a complete program of preparedness based on scientific research in methods of diagnosis, prevention, control, and eradication.